If You Would Turn To Page 137 In Your Hymnal...


A little seven mile drive off of Rutherford and you're two pastures away from Mt. Carmel Baptist Church. Blake and I had the privelage of hearing Brother Brandon Hodge preach yesterday at this quaint little church between Murfreesboro and Christiana. As soon as we stepped out of our car we smelled the hay and horses. The few pews were filled with about 15 welcoming members including the 87 year old pastor who recenlty stepped down from the pulpit this year. Hodge had a geat idea by letting the congreation turn in questions concerning life and Christianity so this Sunday's sermon was on "Is Scripture True?" During the service you could hear all types of cars interrupting the sermon as they traveled down the highway.I didn't mind; it added to the unique atmosphere!

We brought along the guitar and our voices to share; I believe it was the first time a stringed instrument had been played in the building! Standing on a creaky floor, we gladly played out of the baptist hymnal. I was in charge of announcing each transition such as "if you would join me in singing hymn number 137, 'All Creatures Of Our God and King.'" I almost wanted to add a country twang to my voice for some entertainment! When it came time to share prayer requests somone yelled out " I have a praise," and we interpreted "Go Braves!" We all shared a laugh and were glad to hear that this man had recent dental treatment this week. As he shared, I noticed that the man had been a patient in our office just two days prior! I had a chance to chat with him about our similar interests in teaching piano and our mutual friend; one of the doctors I work for. After the sermon we were greeted with big grins and tan brows; proof of their hard working days on the farm. One man walked up to us, shook our hands, told us that he used to own the property across the street, and then walked off. We couldn't help but laugh; he simply wanted to state his name and business and mission accomplished! After hearing a few tall tales and stories that started with "now when I was your age I..." we left for another Sunday lunch on another sunny day. What a small world, what a big God!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me