Our Second Florida Christmas!



Christmas in Florida. I still have a hard time comprehending the fact that we live here. We love it. For now, there's no place we'd rather be. Last year, we were unable to go home for Christmas and we were heartbroken. I blogged about it here. This year we had a peaceful Christmas morning here in Florida and then flew out to Tennessee in the afternoon. I can't wait to blog about Tennessee! However, when I think about Christmas this year, I think this is my favorite memory:
It was a calm evening and colder than usual. Blake, Jude, and I went on a walk around our decked out neighborhood to gaze at the Christmas lights. I tried to keep up with the stroller as Laurie Kate squirmed inside me. She's getting heavy! I couldn't wait to approach this one particular spot where each year, our neighbor puts together a late nativity scene made out of a wooden stable and palm branches. We loved watching Jude's face in amazement. He sings about baby Jesus so we started singing "Jesus Loves Me" when he saw the nativity scene and I like to think that somehow, he made the connection. We stood in front of this glowing nativity for a few seconds longer than other houses because I think we all wanted to take that extra moment to soak up the season. I can't wait for Jude to know more and more about baby Jesus and grown-up Jesus because He really is our biggest gift! He is our constant and the only reason we are capable to love! So badly I want Jude to know that life is at times made more complicated by material possessions... they rob us of peace and many true treasures in life. People are more important than things. I pray that little Jude can get a glimpse of who our great God is through the way we love him. Joy to the world! 

As cliche' as it may seem, these Amy Grant lyrics from the song "Heirloom" always come to mind when I think about Christmas and what I want the holiday to mean for our little Florida family.
Wisemen and shepherds,Down on their knees,
Bringing their treasures
To lay at his feet.
Who was this wonder,
Baby yet king?
Living and dying;
He gave life to me.
Time never changes,
The memory, the moment
His love first pierced through me,
Telling all that I came from,
And all that I live for,
And all that I'm going to be.
My precious savior
Is more than an heirloom to me.
My precious Jesus
Is more than an heirloom to me.
We had a very special Christmas Eve service with Desire Church this year. We met at a local church's warehouse since the school that we currently have services in was closed for the holidays. We sang a whole bunch of Christmas carols, shared the Gospel, and a whole lot of hugs. Blake and I are so lucky to share life with so many wonderful friends! We packed up for Tennessee for days so that we could have a relaxing Christmas Eve worshipping and spending time with our friends, the Elliotts. Before and after the service, my sweet friend Katie and I put together a few holiday foods including party mix, cookies, veggies, spinach dip, ham, cheese, cheese ball, and other treats. We exchanged gifts, tucked the kids into bed, stayed up talking for hours about traditions, Jesus, memories, hopes for the new year, and our crazy children. It was a very cozy evening that I'll not soon forget. :)
I just love my little Jude. I was somehow able to capture these few photos of Jude out by the park in front of our neighborhood... they're definitely misleading because right after I snapped these he took off and was in a terrible mood. Haha!
I shared these on a previous post but I just had to share them again because they are real! Haha! We set up a tripod and tried to get a family photo and boy oh boy, Jude was not having it. Makes a good memory though! 

Thanks to our neighbor, we were able to get a few photos of all four of us that worked great for our Christmas card. (See previous post "Thank You Moe.")
One of Jude's favorite birthday toys :) Just a random memory I had to share.

We ran into Santa at Ikea this Christmas! Jude didn't care too much for the stranger so I just kept him nice and safe in my lap! Blake and I don't really care much for Santa so it wasn't really a big deal to us.
We had a blast at Calvary Church in Sawgrass looking at the large light display. Granna and Granddad enjoyed it too...
I always enjoy going around the house and capturing all our little Christmas decorations because it seems as if we are in a different house each year! Here's how we decked the halls this year.
Jude's tree :)

We definitely felt the Christmas card love this year! It was a joy to see everyone's faces!
Christmas morning was spent with these two fine fellas! Jude got two toys, "The Little Blue Truck's Christmas" book, and some pajamas from us. Blake got a cell phone holder for his car, an iPad case with a keyboard, and a few other special things from me. Blake got me a lovely "L" charm for little miss Laurie Kate that's due in just four short weeks, a personalized wine stopper, Coldplay's X&Y album on vinyl, a few other sweet things, and man oh man... WICKED tickets as my "push present." He totally surprised me and we can't wait to go out on the town when little girl is about six weeks old. I'm so excited! Really, the greatest gift was just being together. Each day, each moment is such a gift that we should never take for granted. Thank you Lord, for my family. 

After a quick breakfast of eggs, fruit, and cinnamon yeast rolls, we scurried around the house whistling Christmas carols, freaking out, and packing every last sock for TENNESSEE....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me