Our First Florida Thanksgiving


Did you know that if you bake a 13-pound turkey upside down at 325 degrees, it takes about four and a half hours? Haha! This year, I cooked my first bird. I wasn't so sure that I could enjoy eating it after I handled its neck and guts while preparing it. Yuck. I think I had a frown on my face during the whole process! Lolly cat was right next to me, meowing with suspicion the whole time. "Please give me a bite of that raw bird!" But yes, I accidentally cooked it upside down. Ha! I noticed everyone's beautiful turkey pictures on Facebook and wondered why mine didn't look the same. You could blame my pregnancy brain on this one...
Although we never enjoy being away from family for Thanksgiving, we did enjoy the company of these fine people above. We usually spend our holiday in Charleston, SC with my lovely grandparents. It's the only time of the year where we all gather in one town. My heart is always torn because we have only spent a few Thanksgiving meals with Blake's amazing family and boy, are they remarkable. I'm so blessed to have such wonderful family members on both sides. (They can cook very well too, haha) However, this year our pastor and his family invited us over for the big meal and we invited some of our friends from Lowe's. What began as a large RSVP, ended up just this "small" group. Lee and Tony are some of the sweetest people you'll ever meet... they're not from South Florida. Believe it or not, Lee is from the same town as Mistie! We all laughed at how small the world is over tea, bread casseroles, turkey, and desserts. Lee brought some fine southern dishes, apple dumplings, tea, and macaroni. Mistie made my favorite Sister Schubert rolls, mashed potatoes, macaroni, stuffing patties, sweet potatoes, and some mighty fine chocolate cupcakes with her famous cream cheese frosting. There was food everywhere! We really do live in the land of plenty... there are so many people who will never see as much food as we waste! Shoo!

Like I stated above, I had the honor of roasting the bird this year. Mistie bought the poor thing and I strapped on that apron with pride... and had no clue where to start. My sweet step-mother, Becky, called to save the day. She explained multiple tricks to the perfect, tender, and juicy bird. After much debate and endless Googling... I decided to roast it over carrots, celery, garlic, onions, salt, and pepper. I wish I had been more bold and put some cajun seasoning all over it or something! It was tender and juicy but honestly, it didn't have much flavor. Hey, at least it was cooked all the way. I'd rather eat turkey on a sandwich anyways. 

I also whipped up some dishes that baby girl and I were craving; broccoli casserole, corn soufflé, green beans, caramel brownies, and some Andes Mint cookies. If you'd like, there are some links to the recipes since I've documented them on this blog before. Don't they look delicious...
In keeping with the spirit of the holiday, we contemplated what we were thankful for this year. More than ever, I am so thankful for our family. I realize how uncommon it is for the majority of my family members to know Christ. What a difference the love of Christ makes within a family unit! I can just see God's fingerprints all over each one of them; forgiveness, peace, redemption, grace, mercy, blessings, and so much love. The family member that swore off ever talking to so-in-so, now hugging that very person. The recovering alcoholic welcomed back to the table. The stories go on and on. So much forgiveness! I can't forget music. Music plays a powerful role in both of our families. Is there anything closer to heaven than a room full of people who know Jesus? Then, on top of that, you add music!?!? Jesus, you are so amazing! As you'll read, Jesus fulfilled and is even sill fulfilling this scripture that is close to my heart this season; 

The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound. Isaiah 61:1 

We never imagined that we would live so far away from home, from the ones we love most, the ones we have the most treasured memories with. However, God has us here in South Florida for a time and we are experiencing His peace and presence all around us. I'm extremely thankful for my husband and the commitment he has to Christ, our little family, and loving me so well. I've been given waaaay more than I deserve. I'm overwhelmed by God's mercy and goodness!
Thanksgiving 2008 in Charleston, SC. 
We had just gotten engaged a few weeks prior. :)
Thanksgiving 2009 in Charleston, SC
2009 a few days prior in East Tennessee
2010 in Charleston, SC

2011 in Charleston, SC
2011, a few days prior in East TN.
The only other Thanksgiving that I have ever spent away from family was with my sweet friend Tina.  I was pregnant with Jude and was determined that he could come earlier than expected so, we stayed in Middle Tennessee back in 2012. 
2013 in Charleston, SC. Jude sure does add extra cuteness to the bunch! :)
Through Jude, I have learned to be thankful for each moment. To savor and enjoy the present. This was his first Thanksgiving coloring page... he's getting so big! Now, if someone could just teach me how to be thankful that he's a LEFTY!!!! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me