Candy Corn Cookies & Halloween Sweets



I had so much fun making these sweet little candy corn cookies this Halloween! They are really simple and I can show you how to make them! First, I thought you may enjoy peeking at what I made last year. (click to see blog post)
Owl cupcakes made of Oreos and MnMs, of course some chocolate covered strawberries drizzled, as ghosts, and pumpkin/zombies, and little witch hats made of Keebler cookies, orange frosting, and Hershey's kisses. That was so much fun! 
Last year, I also had fun making simple little pumpkin rice krispy treats. Craving rice krispie treats now...

My budget for baking this year is a little different haha so I narrowed it down to one sweet instead of three! Also, I made these for the Halloween party we usually go to with our small group and church friends but we weren't able to go this year since we were preparing to put our house on the market. More on this later! Very bittersweet.



Before we begin I have to show you these adorable kitty cat cookies I made recently. I saw this idea in a book and had to try it out so I made some round cookies with some of the extra candy corn cookie dough! I made some chocolate frosting, tried to make a symmetrical cat face, added some Mini MnMs, coconut, red frosting, and there you have it! Most of this stuff I already had around the house! I made a total of three so that I could share them with my precious nephews and niece. I would have made more but goodness, my feet tend to get swollen pretty quickly these days. 
Aren't they precious? Say hello to Parker who was Mario, Jackson who was Luke Skywalker, and little Mallory who was Belle. We had the privilege of going trick-or -treating with these beautiful children last night! You better believe I was out in the sugar crazed madness with my pregnant belly! We were going to paint my belly as a jack-o-lantern but it was freezing cold outside so I just put on a pair of cat ears.

 I do have to share that although Parker is so darn cute, he is not quite the professional trick-or- treater yet. See, there are a few rules to the night; don't walk up to houses that do not have porch lights on, always say "trick-or-treat" at each door, do not tell the person handing out the candy that you don't like that kind or would like more pieces, and do not take candy from another trick-or- treater's bag! I guess we should give him a break since he's only in Kindergarden! I do have to brag on him though because he did have the fullest pumpkin basket when we got home! He's so cute, it doesn't matter!

Blake was a trooper toting a red Radio Flyer wagon around the whole neighborhood just in case the kids wanted to get in! We were cracking up the whole time just watching the kid's reactions and thinking how we'll be taking little Jude around this time next year... in FLORIDA?! Do they even trick-or-treat there? They better! None of this trunk business, our baby is going out on the town! My sister even gave  us the cutest turtle costume for him to wear! Plus, if Jude goes trick-or-treating then we get to share his candy, yessss!

Back to cookie business...
Ok, are you ready? They're not difficult at all! 
1. Pick your favorite sugar cookie recipe or you can buy regular cookie dough at the store. I made my mom's recipe for tea cakes because they keep their shape very well. They also happen to be very yummy of course! 
2. Separate your dough into three parts and line a bread pan with plastic wrap.
3. Spread out the white dough first 

 4. Dye a portion of your dough orange and yellow with gel or regular food coloring
5. Spread out your orange dough on top of the white
 6. Spread out your yellow dough on top of the orange
7. Place the dough in the refrigerator or freezer for a few hours until it's very firm
8. Make sure your dough is very firm and get out a big ol' knife!

9. When you cut the dough, it should not begin to separate or smudge

See? simple!
10. Go ahead and slice the whole loaf of dough

11. Cut into triangles

12. Dip some cookies into some regular sugar or sparkling sugar and bake 
Here's what they look like when they're done! They're pretty small but extra yummy!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me