A Unique Pumpkin Treat

These may look like ordinary pumpkin muffins but they're very unique. Say hello to mister vegan pumpkin dark chocolate goodness. MMM! In case you're lost, vegan means no animal products and no, we're not vegan or even thinking about it. We do say yes to organic meats and foods when/if we have the extra cash.

Anyways! My friend from work brought these in one day and we were all convinced that they couldn't be vegan because that would mean they had to taste funny, and they certainly did NOT. So, when my vegan parents requested a vegan sweet, I had to try this recipe out! Now listen, unfortunately I'm a very picky sweet eater; these muffins are SO GOOD! Trust me! They're worth it! I had a great time making these pumpkin cupcakes in the past but now that I've made these a few times, I actually prefer them! 

Before you read the recipe, I'll go ahead and answer the big question; "how do you make muffins without eggs?" Well, all you'll need is baking powder and baking soda, somehow it works!! The only vegan products that you'll need are soy milk and vegan margarine, which is usually in the organic refrigerated section next to soy milk. I actually bought soy milk vanilla creamer because it was a lot cheaper, tastes the same, and I won't be able to drink a whole half gallon of that stuff. Give me the cow! I can't get enough milk these days!! So, if you're like me, and buy a million cans of pumpkin each fall, now you have a unique recipe to use in case you ran out of eggs or have any vegan friends that you'd like to treat. Also, I'm pretty sure you can substitute the pumpkin for bananas if you'd like to. We always have piles of rotten bananas in our freezer that are perfect for breads. However, it's fall and pumpkin is filled with beta carotenes people; cancer and heart disease fighters! Pumpkin is also low in saturated fat, very low in cholesterol and sodium, a good source of vitamin E, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, and manganese. We all know that dark chocolate is good for you too!

When did I start paying attention to all of these fancy health facts? Ever since I've run into an occasional leg cramp with love from baby Jude, I've paid a lot of attention to bananas and other foods with potassium! Also, my doctor told me that my iron is a little low, nothing that my prenatal vitamin can't fix, but I'll just have to eat more pumpkin! Which reminds me, Aunt Leslie makes some pretty mean pumpkin soup for Thanksgiving that I'm likely to miss this year since I won't be allowed to travel this holiday. I need to make it too! Too bad the pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks doesn't actually have pumpkin in it! Enjoy! 



Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cinnamon Icing

Ingredients: 
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup soy milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate ones)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a med bowl, stir together pumpkin, oil, sugar, soy milk, and vanilla. Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking, cinnamon, and salt. Stir together with a fork-don't use a handheld mixer as it will make the batter gummy. Once well combined, fold in the chocolate chips. 
3. Fill liners two-thirds full. Bake for 22-24 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to let cool completely before icing. 

Cinnamon Icing
Ingredients:
1/2 cups confectioner's sugar (i used a lot more)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp vegan margarine, melted
1 tbsp soy milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions: 
1. Place sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir with a fork until smooth. Keep at room temperature until ready to use. The mixture should look opaque and honey brown. (I usually have to add up to 4 tbsp more confectioner's sugar. Their measurements make a really runny icing.)
2. Drizzle icing over cupcakes.

Comments

  1. I made these tonight!! SOO YUMMY!! :) Thanks for sharing, I had been looking for a recipe since Great Harvest went out of business (I LOVED their pumpkin chocolate chip muffins!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's so cool Lauren!! I'm so glad you made them, they're good for a snack on the go! I heard that Great Harvest had new management and now, I guess they've closed! That's so sad!! Hope ya'll are doing well! We miss you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me