Enemies Of The Heart

     I usually do not read books. In fact, I couldn't tell you the last book that I ready in entirety. I have lots of books! I read books of the Bible easier because I technically don't have to read the whoooole book. (I should) However, I'm almost finished with this book and it's a'kickin' my behind! It's called "Enemies Of The Heart" by Andy Stanley. My wonderful friend and mentor Emily gave me this book because she knows how messed up my heart is! Just kidding, but really, we all need some heart surgery!!   
     First, discipleship: a process recommended by JESUS himself! Oh yeah! You remember the great commission? The last thing Jesus said to us on Earth? Going, making, and teaching. Greek word "go" meaning "as you are going" as in, as you are going through life, not just to Asia, etc. That's where this whole process started. Discipleship is also how we find ourselves here today... one disciple to another we have church in America.
     Anyways, in an attempt to hold myself accountable to reading the whole book, I will begin by telling you about it... it's filled with some powerful scripture. Andy Stanley explains that we can all suffer heart disease in the shape of the following symptoms... followed by heart condition:
GUILT: "I owe you"
ANGER: "You owe me"
GREED: " I owe me"
JEALOUSY: "God owes me"
     We need a lot of help don't we? For me, I'm pretty sure I suffer from all of them. Yup. But there's hope...knowing Jesus not just about Him! The first point in the book where I actually took action was when I was reading about guilt. The heart condition of "I owe you" is followed by guilt because we need to have true repentance and confession. Sounds simple right? Nope. True confession is followed by change. Not conscience relief but life change. It doesn't mean anything for us to go to some silly confession booth, talk to a priest (he's only a man, Jesus is our intercessor now people, the veil was torn from top to bottom remember??), talk to a good friend, or even confess something to God when we have NO real life change. That's just what you call pushing "it" under the rug so we can feel good and smile our way through life to convince people that we're "good." I don't buy it!! The Lord is concerned with our hearts. He sees.  Remember this verse that you try to forget when you're worshipping?
Matthew 5.23–24, Jesus says: “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.”  Well, this verse peirced my heart. I had to go write a few emails and confess that I was sorry. Yes, I did. Even if the receiving end didn't admit to any wrongdoing, I did my part. My heart is now freed from any guilt, imprisonment, worry, useless pondering about how awkward it would be to see "them." Free to worship, to serve, to love! Not completely but in more ways than before. I'm definitely not perfecto. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 2 Corin 3:17. So good.
     After reading Jonah, hello!? Do what God tells you to do before you find yourself in the belly of a big fish (it never says whale)! Before you find yourself stuck between a rock and a hard place, questioning your foundation. 
      AND Worship: to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice,acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. Romans 12:1. You already know that it's more that singing don't you? Worship is life! SOAPBOX: That's why people who do not believe in having instruments in worship shouldn't even listen to musical instruments at all if they're soooo concerned because LIFE IS WORSHIP. But, since nothing we do can obtain righteousness or salvation, our efforts are worthless anyways. It's only by HIS saving grace, grace, grace. Not baptism, not following rules, not being "good," not being positive enough, not knowing a creed, not dressing up on Sunday, not knowing what other people tell you about Jesus, etc, etc. If so, why did Jesus even have to die? Hmmm?? We can know HIM, not just about Him.
     Another problem with my heart, it's very heavy. I just unloaded on you but I hope you feel encouraged. Oh, God is so good. I will share more later but for now we are sleepy, baby and I. Love you. God loves you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me