Six Months With Laurie Kate

Rolling, spitting, eating baby food, bouncing, gibber jabbering, and squealing; miss LK is six months strong! She's the little girl in the bouncy seat, asleep, nursing, or in the high chair at our house. Our little "chunk" as we call her. She loves to grin and has quite a temper when she's hungry. Her little whispers and squeals of "dada" make me smile and totally jealous. Really? It's always "dada" first! Haha! We rushed you into your room one rainy morning and captured the sweetest pictures of you holding your dada's hand. Granna made you this doll-like dress in the pictures and the bloomers below. My heart just smiles when I think about all the love and prayers that went into making those little outfits. The plan was to take beautiful pictures outside somewhere with palm trees blowing in the wind... but I'm learning with two children that you just have to GO WITH THE FLOW. That's the name of the game. 

We try to have a schedule. We try to get things done. We try to feed you baby food without getting it spit in our face... but we just have to go with the flow. We also have to wear aprons when we feed you because you are explosive! You can be hypnotized by songs while you're eating but if we stop singing then you spew! I get so frustrated haha! Most of the time I'm singing "Baby Beluga" begrudgingly; it's your favorite song. Silly girl! 

I catch myself surrounded by the constant undone and on the brink of a terrible mood some days. Graciously, God reminds me to STOP. It's really hard for me to stop doing! Dishes, laundry, shopping, worrying, planning, fixing, wiping, disciplining, paying, sweeping, baking; hard work. Sometimes I'm tempted to attach my emotional well-being and identity to the success or failure of these minuscule tasks; some consider that to be worship. How sad. My to-do list never ends and will never bring me contentment even if my boxes are checked. Once I stop and rest, sit face to face with my sweet children, stop and give my husband a real hug (not a quick/I'm busy hug), stop and actually taste instead of consume, stop and look at the palm trees and iguanas in my backyard, my gaze is lifted from my circumstances to the truth. The truth is, I have a lot to be thankful for. Blake is the most humble and loving husband. My children are a joy. My family and friends bring me such comfort and encouragement. We are a part of a church plant that treasures Christ over rituals. I live in a beautiful state. I have air conditioning!! 

My flesh thrives in discontentment. There's a real battle going on. Daily. I love nursing and then I hate nursing. I love having just two kids and then I sometimes want like five! I complain about the hot weather and then I love it. There's always something to complain about if I let my emotions take the wheel. The other day, I was complaining because I had to stir my peanut butter as it was making a huge mess; the oil and nuts had separated. I felt like the most ungrateful little snob because the truth is, most of this world doesn't have unlimited access to anything they want with just a click. (Who doesn't love Amazon Prime?!?) God cares deeply about me and my struggles but he also commands me to be thankful. He commands this because it's for my good and for His glory. I don't want my name to be lifted high, I can't handle that haha! Jesus is the only one who deserves praise!


I have this strong desire inside me to always move forward. I always want to know what will happen tomorrow, what the plan is, where we'll be in the next few years. Then Jesus reminds me that there are kingdom purposes in the now, the moments I meet with him in my heart, and the small steps of obedience I take daily. Life. My prayers have changed from "Lord, help me" to just "hello Lord." Stopping. Resting. Communing. Trusting. Taking my hands off the wheel and just opening my ears, my heart, and my mind. I'm so hungry. (physically and spiritually haha)  I can't move forward by chasing a day that can't be tracked down. I'll never "arrive" until I meet my Father in Heaven. God reminds me that my identity is in Him. Life is found in Him. 

I find life when through Christ, I give myself to others as Christ gave himself for me. I need to be faced with the meaning of sacrifice on a daily basis to remember my need for grace and forgiveness. I constantly miss the mark, I'm sick with sin. So, if I can give, Lord help me to give! 

I find life when I reflect on God's goodness. Most days, I'm spent. I have no well to draw from, no listening ear, no self-control, nothing outside of what the Spirit of God supplies me with. 

I find life when God helps me overcome discouragement with thankfulness and praise! I may not be praising the Lord when I'm changing a stinky diaper but I can be thankful that I have diapers and kids that stink them up. Haha!  

I find life and peace when I'm walking in God's sovereignty. My flesh fights my need to surrender but once God's grace allows me to drop everything, to admit God's in control, then I'm free! I'm living. I'm so thankful.

This month I feel like I've been grounded. (more specifics later) Similar to when I was sixteen and grounded for not meeting my curfew... my hands have once again been tied behind my back, for my own good. I have never been in control, but I sure did convince myself that I was large and in charge. Nope. God is sovereign and I'm learning to rest in Him all over again. In Christ, I'm reminded that giving up control, resting, and moving forward are all fruits of communing with God. It's through Him that I can enjoy my wonderful husband, my two (crazy and messy) cuddly children, and stand in the middle of the most beautifully chaotic month I've ever experienced with a spirit that feels afflicted but is not crushed... 

For I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:11-13 

We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. So death is at work in us, but life in you. 2 Corinthians 4:8-12 

WARNING: PICTURE OVERLOAD! I can't help it, our family lives 900 miles away and most of them haven't met Laurie Kate sooo this is just what happens. Plus, these blue eyes! Sigh! 



Carson (the sleepy one above) moved to Tennessee this month! We miss you so much! In honor of his departure, he requested a chocolate cheesecake. I gladly accepted the challenge and whipped this one up. Oh. Man. Here's the recipe. Your presence, your humor, and your friendship are greatly missed.
When the pool closes but you promised you'd take Jude to the pool...
hidy! teachin' her to be modest early :)
that one day that we went to swimming lessons and realized maybe a private teacher would be best. :(
Jude is the BEST swimmer. He'll swim all day if you let him. He's so brave. My little Florida boy!
Somebody is drinking from a real cup these days! And no high chair! Woo hoo!
Exploring the fort!
Jude HATES coming inside from the playground!
baby food! ok, making our own baby food has been so easy! frozen veggies and fruits, breastmilk, and a Magic Bullet. it's not complictaed!
getting ready for Tennessee!
We traveled to TN to see Blake's precious Nana who is battling cancer. Sweet Nana, we are praying for you. You are such a fighter and have incredible faith and hope! God amazingly provided a way for us to afford to fly to Tennessee, He's so awesome! So, we had the privilege of visiting with Mamaw, Papaw, Granna, Grandad, Mimi, Pop, Grandaddy, Becky, cousins, aunts, uncles, and a few friends. Every hour of every day was booked! 
Praying for you, Nana!
Jude swam in Nana's pool for THREE HOURS! Haha!
After Jude's marathon swim... he crashed
First Jeep ride in Tennessee 
Not pictured is the beautiful Shelby! It was a treat to see you two and thanks for the delicious honey and presents for the kids!
Sweet baby Sage!
Jude had a blast with Harper and Reagan! Cousins!

Mimi and Pop! We miss you already!
Back in sunny Florida at our church picnic
 
Momma Katie!

We decided to go jogging one afternoon and it poured down rain... it was a nice soggy adventure!
Jude's two main buddies, Lincoln and Liam!

the iguana that lives in our tree (i mentioned him above haha)
Kelsey and Dwayne had baby Ezra! Hallelujah!!!! I have never cried so much in my life. I just miss you so much!
Mornings with Jude and LK
Thankful. Each day is such a gift.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me