Laurie Kate's Birthday

Laurie Kate Herron
2-9-15, 8:03AM, 6lbs 9oz, 19 1/4''

You're here! Little girl, you are so loved. As a friend once reminded me, I think God erases or maybe numbs most of a mother's memory of the physical pains and hardships of labor. If not, we may not want to have more than one child. The pain, the chaos, the unknown, the drama, long nights, messes, weight struggles, breastfeeding, and hormones; it's all worth it.  

 The days leading up to your arrival were so different than they were when we met your big brother. I was ready to have a "normal" delivery with Jude but God had other plans. God knows what He's doing, little one. After hours laboring and pushing, I was rushed into an emergency C-section with your brother. Praise the Lord, he safely came into the world at 8 pounds and 9 ounces. Three different doctors warned me that a "normal" delivery wouldn't ever happen for me for multiple reasons. We made peace with the diagnosis and understood that our next baby would be "scheduled." 

After much prayer, many guilt trips from our current doctor, and a lot of research, we decided that this was the safest decision for you and me. The doctors weren't sure about your exact due date so I was able to pick either February 9th or Friday, February 13th. Um, let me think... NOT Friday the 13th! Haha! We had a count down... it was kind of strange! Your dad and I could hardly contain our excitement and nerves as we prepared for surgery. Your Aunt Whitney and Granna came in to town the night before and were ready to take care of Jude while your daddy and I journeyed down the road to the hospital. 
We woke up (from not sleeping) nice and early at 4:00AM. I was shaking, holding back tears, and laughing at the chaos of it all.  Everything was ready for you to come home. Diapers were unpacked, clothes washed, your room was decorated, the pack n' play was set up by my bed, and Jude... well, he had no idea. We checked in the hospital at 5:30 for our 7:30 surgery. My joy outweighed my nervousness... until I sat on the operating table. They wouldn't let your daddy in the room while I received a spinal to numb me up. I didn't expect that at all, I wanted him by my side. I started crying because I couldn't bare the thought of something happening to you and I was scared. I began to feel the numbness spread quickly and unfortunately started throwing up... for the next twelve hours. Yes, I was throwing up while you entered the world. My heart was broken that I couldn't physically acknowledge your presence without vomiting. Meeting you for the first time was definitely not how I pictured it but I'm so grateful that we are both safe and that you are here with us now. My chest became numb too and couldn't breath well... I was more scared than I've ever been. I prayed the whole time, "Lord, help me!" The Holy Spirit comforted me with this word;
Clasping your daddy's hand, I saw you for the first time. Daddy even watched some of the surgery! He's crazy, haha! I don't know what I would do without your dad. I clung to his every word, every update of how you were doing. You cried with a loud burst of life and I broke out in my favorite kind of tears. You were here and your were healthy! All six pounds and nine ounces of you. The doctors said you were 18 inches but the pediatrician said you were 19 1/4 inches so we're going with that! You look so much like your big brother. I look at you and see him. Everyone says that you look like me, I haven't decided yet. It's a joy to put bows in your hair and smell your soft little head. You are such a sweet and perfect gift to us from our loving Father.
We sat in the surgery recovery room for a few hours and couldn't stop staring at you. New life; there's nothing like it. I was feeling the first wave of pain and for some reason, a nurse decided to accidentally overdose me on pain medications... not fun! I was higher than I should have been and continued to be very sick for a long time. On top of abdominal surgery, vomiting is just about the last thing you want to do. Laughing and coughing hurt bad enough. I don't want to focus too much on the pain but gosh, I was so sad that I couldn't celebrate your first hours of life half sane.

I began to come out of the fog around dinner time so we had a few close friends come by to meet you. More friends came the following day. I think the only friend that we didn't get a picture of was miss Ashley Lieser. She came bringing us some of our favorite breakfast items from Panera and she even made a special wreath for our house that you'll see below.
again, they didn't measure you correctly.. you're 19 1/4''
Granna came all the way from Tennessee :) She loved getting to know you! Mimi and Pop came to visit a few days after you were born, too! We've definitely missed having the rest of our family here. It's hard not to compare your arrival to Jude's where most of our extended family was able to meet him the first week. My emotions have been all over the place but I have to remember to be thankful... and cry-it-out! 
Your Aunt Whitney came all the way from Las Vegas
Meet your Aunt Katie (not by blood but close enough) She made some yummy pink strawberry bars that were delicious!
Jude came in the room and my heart just about burst. I didn't know I could love two little people so fiercely. He's like a giant to us now... especially his diapers. (those gotta go soon, haha) He didn't really want anything to do with you. In time, I think ya'll will be good friends!
Daddy loves you soo much!

Oh, I missed you so much! I was so glad that you still wanted to snuggle with me, mister Jude. (even if it took a little show to convince you)
My mom sent these beaaaauuutiful flowers to you, sweet girl. Jude also brought the balloon to you when he met you for the first time. 
Daddy got some special pictures of us. He took such great care of you since I was unable to get up from that bed without a lot of help. You were the most peaceful little thing, you still are. 
Getting ready to go home!
Daddy wasn't so sure about all the pink, bows, and ruffles before he met you but now he likes them!
Maaaan, breastfeeding makes you SO hungry! Haha!
We are so blessed to be a family of four! 
Florida is so beautiful! We were so ready to go home and sleep in our own bed. I couldn't wait to bring you in the house and take care of you. 
The beautiful wreath that my friend Ashley made... we have some very special people in our lives!
While you were being born, Aunt Whitney and Granna took Jude on some adventures!
My sweet neighbor brought us these and a special gift for you. 
Mimi and Grandaddy both sent us the most beautiful flowers! 
At first, Jude would completely ignore you and anyone who held you. Now, Jude will count your toes, offer you books to read, and try to give you a paci. We are so proud of him!
You've had so many special visitors. Here's Lisa, Andy, and Brianna. Also, Sarah, Leah, and Lilly below...
Josh and Carson came over too!
We were SO excited when Mimi and Pop came to visit! They loved snuggling with you, helping your jaundice go down, and playing with Jude! I don't know what we'd do without the help of Mimi and Pop.
Everyone needs Momma!
I am simply overwhelmed by the love you brought into our lives. Although recovery is not easy, coming home was the best medicine. I can't begin to explain how blessed we are during this time. Meals, gifts, kind words, prayers, and encouragement all surrounded your arrival. God surely has shown his grace and mercy towards us and we are so thankful. You have been the most calm, delightful little baby and we can't wait to get to know you more over the many months to come. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me