Blanca & Efrian

Taking walks around our neighborhood has proved to be my favorite daily task where I see God intervene with my seemingly mundane routine. I can't even begin to tell you how full my heart is with the new faces I've met in our neighborhood. I'm wrecked every time I come home after meeting a new face with, "I want them to knooooow God loves them!" I'm also wrecked with my selfishness, pride, and lack of knowledge and wisdom beyond baby talk... "buuh buuuuh banana." It's hard to form a complete thought after speaking in phonics to little Jude all day haha. 

You see, there's Blanca and Efrian, an adorable older couple. Each afternoon precisely around 5:15 they open their garage, set out their white plastic chairs, and sit. Can't you see them? There's probably a similar scene in your neighborhood. They watch the cars go by, hardly speak a word to each other, and then go inside at the first glimpse of twilight as if the night will harm them. The first time I saw them, I thought of my own grandparents who live in Charleston, SC. How I miss them and how different the world must seem to that generation as they grew up in a society that introduced the telephone, television, and so many machines we take for granted. This world must seem so foreign to them, so cold and selfish. At least, it seems that way to Blanca and Efrian. They told me they have no friends to speak of. They're the delightful old couple that talks over each other and spoils the ending to the others story because they've told it so many times over the years. They're from Cuba, which is very common here in South Florida. Their daughter is a pastor, they have a son in Gainsville, and a grandson who is sick at the moment. They are so precious to me. 


Jude will always high-five Efrian, but never Blanca. Blanca is very stern but I know there's a tender heart deep down inside. They've become like family to me. One time I asked them what they had done that day. They replied, "the same thing we did yesterday and the day before." Life has passed them by and they don't have many joys left... if only they knew true joy! They don't know God but aren't closed to the idea so one day I decided to invite them to church; I thought I had destroyed our friendship. You see, down here in South Florida I've become very sensitive to what I call "church speak." Let me give you a few examples; "You should come to my church on Sunday." "I'll be praying for you." "Have a blessed day." Harmless, right? Well, my experience here has been that these phrases make eyebrows raise in question, and then the subject changes really quickly if you're lucky. Sometimes the person will turn around and walk away! After inviting Blanca and Efrian, their body language spoke so loudly, I knew I had made them very uncomfortable. I guess it would be similar to a muslim person inviting me to their service... I would be scared and have no clue what to expect!  


The culture we are a part of here is NOT familiar with churchy phrases. I wish I wasn't either. Most don't have any reference to what a Sunday morning at an evangelical church would look like.  Knowing this, I wondered why I've wasted so much time dancing around the subject of Jesus and instead spitting out these now disgusting churchy phrases. Since we've moved here I've felt these walls in my heart begin to crumble and fall down. I've believed the lies of materialism, four walls called a church, and taken part in so many churchy activities while Jesus was waiting for me to run back in His arms. His word. His presence. Walking with Him intimately. There is no church building for me to call my "church home." There's also not any resources, programs, pews, bulletins, or hymnals. I was always taught that the church building wasn't the church, the body of believers is but have never witnessed the separation of the two until moving here. Maybe I experienced the separation for a short time while visiting believers in China and Nicaragua with no church home... but not really.  We are all in danger of depending on a church rather than fully submitting our lives to God. God forcing me to trade in my busy and comfortable (yet stressful and painful at the same time) church life for this building process in South Florida has ripped the veil off my eyes. It's all about Jesus. Easy to say. But really, I can't get enough of HIM! I think this quote says it best; "The moralism that passes for Christian faith today is a devastating hobby if you have no intention of submitting your life fully to God and chasing Him in Christ." -Matt Chandler 


So, instead of saying, "you should come to my church on Sunday..." what needs to happen is a sincere invitation for Blanca and Efrian to come over for dinner. In my house. My mess, my kid's toys, my kitchen, my dishes. Instead of saying, "I'll be praying for you..." pray for them right then and there. Hold their hand, wrap my arm around their shoulder, and love them there on the sidewalk with the palm trees behind us. I'm still in awe of the palms. 


I had the opportunity to pray for them this week and after I prayed they both asked me, "are you a pastor?" I'm holding back the tears right now. We were all in tears at the moment and then began laughing after I quickly exclaimed, "no!" Me? A pastor? Can a simple woman like me not pray on the sidewalk and be heard by God? I really think all they knew of prayer was associated with pastors. Oh, my heart aches. Jesus made a way for us as intercessor to God! Fulfilling the Old Testament ways of the temple!!! Romans 8:34 Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Through Jesus, and only Jesus, we have right-standing with God! It is by absolutely no effort of my own! By grace we have been saved through faith! How I wish that Blanca and Efrian would accept this freedom! I shared John 3:16 with them in a Valentine and they still seemed to think that it's too good to be true. That they must please God first. I believe that lie often even as a believer. Jesus pleased God so I don't have to, praises!


To be like Jesus. Jesus didn't cower away from sinners and outcasts. He didn't wave, invite them to church, and smile as if His life was... well He was perfect haha! However, he did struggle though, tremendously, to the death. Jesus made house calls! He went to the woman at the well, the tax collector's house, and countless more accounts that weren't recorded in the Bible! He loved and served people where they were. He still does!!!!!! In the midst of their sin, our sin, heartache, smelly feet, and shame. He knows the evil inside our hearts and loved us still. I'm just broken by his example. He purposefully sought after the desperate, prideful, and needy. 


My husband Blake was able to put these words to practice recently and I have to share with you. In short, Blake and a friend named Scott delivered 100 chicken wings to a Super Bowl party a few weeks ago. Blake's coworkers wanted him to join the party but after he found out that the party would include an illegal substance... that changed things. Blake was so torn over what to do or not do. He was so afraid that by washing his hands clean of the whole situation, he would lose his witness. He really cares for his friends at Lowe's. After an open discussion during church, we decided that it would be an incredible witness to the love of Christ if they delivered wings, spoke with his friends briefly, and left. These coworkers were munching on chicken wings paid for by Desire Church while getting high. That's Jesus. That's loving intentionally with abandon. Blake said that every coworker at that party thanked him for the wings and even better, there were meaningful conversations to follow. 


That's the gospel. That's reaching outside the pew to the city in need of grace, love, and mercy. My prayer is that God's name would be lifted high. Help me Lord to not hide in comfort and routine and remember that we are beacon of light in the darkness! You are so good Lord!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me