Sanderson Sweet Potato Casserole

Hola friends! I am so excited to share this recipe with you! As I've said before, food brings people together and that's what I'm praying this casserole will do for you this holiday! I had three sweet ladies ask for the recipe after posting this picture of Facebook so I'm just tickled to share it with you all! Please feel free to comment on any of my posts, I get so excited to read them! Also, if you have any questions about recipes let me know! I'm here for YOU, haha! I promise that your house will smell like a holiday in about thirty minutes and your tastebuds will go crazy. Little Jude's eyebrows went sky high after he tried this! 

This recipe is from my mom's bakery cookbook so it's a little piece of my heart from the Sanderson family kitchen. 

Who doesn't like a recipe where you just pile it all up, mix it together, and enjoy? When it started cooking I about cried because so many sweet memories flooded my mind. (too sentimental, sorry but I currently live about 1000 miles from family so give me a break) However, I did make a few changes to make this recipe a little more healthy. After all, sweet potatoes are so yummy by themselves. So, I cut the butter and sugar in half and substituted the milk for almond milk and added vanilla for a smooth creamy taste. Mmm!! In case your family has a feud over which topping to use, I recommend using both as you see in the pictures. As a kid I avoided nuts at all cost but now, I can appreciate the unique flavor they add to this dish! TRY IT!
My sweet Nana, Annie Laurie as she rounds the corner to the sweet potato casserole. Isn't she beautiful? 
Sanderson Sweet Potato Casserole

Casserole Ingredients
30 oz can of drained yams/sweet potatoes or 4 cups of fresh sweet potatoes
1/2 stick melted butter (you can use Smart Balance butter and it tastes just as good)
2 eggs
1/2 cup of dark brown sugar (you can use 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/8 cup Truvia if you're watching calories)
1/2 cup milk, almond milk, or Silk
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla

Crispy Topping (that you won't be able to stop eating and you'll want to put it on all your muffins)
1/3 cup melted butter (again, you can use Smart Balance)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour (or oat flour)
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup quick oats

Combine all ingredients for the casserole, beating with a mixer. Pour into an 8'' square greased pan. If you'd like to make a 9x13 portion, double this recipe. Mix all ingredients for the crispy topping in a small bowl, mashing until it combines. Sprinkle topping on casserole and bake at 350 for about an hour. You'll simply watch the casserole until it rises in the middle. Do NOT place marshmallows on top until the casserole is done baking. You can place the pan back in the oven for a few minutes to allow marshmallows to puff up! If you'd like the marshmallows to be browned on top, put oven on broil and watch carefully!

Hug your family and enjoy! Love ya'll!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me