What to Think


Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:4-9, ESV)

If there's one thing I find myself dwelling on lately, it's when will I have a normal day?
There's something about predictability that is comforting. Every day after lunch I have to have some coffee... and I experience withdrawals if I don't have it. 
Predicability is a luxury, privilege, and can also lead to stagnant waters in my heart. In fact, the times where I've felt closest to the Lord where when my life was interrupted.
Change. 
Unpredictability. 
With that knowledge, I welcome the chaos. Over the past six months, there haven't been many "normal" days for us. I still don't know what day it is. I am thankful to be right where we are, it's actually been very rejuvenating. God is up to something good. 
"Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. " (Isaiah 43:19, ESV)
Then, the pandemic extended that unpredictability. (Aren't we so selfish?)
Our world is grieving and dealing with this terrible pandemic and all the ramifications of it. It's no secret that people are struggling mentally. 
Personally, it's a daily challenge to steer my mind in the right direction. I confess, my mind has been racing, going in circles, and dwelling on things that are beyond my control. Phones do not help. There's an app to distract everyone from everything. Dangerous territory for sanity, am I right? 
If you took a glimpse into my brain there's grief, frustration, joy, and creativity. There's definitely an ongoing soundtrack. But the majority of space is taken up by questions. When will life be back to normal, predictable? When will the suffering and sickness end? When will I feel comfortable hugging a friend again? When will schools open?
To sum it up, for example, after watching the news, my husband is tired of hearing me say, "I don't even know what to think about all of this!"
What does scripture say about what to think? Romans 12:2 reminds me to be transformed by the renewing of my mind and 2 Corinthians 10:5 explains I must be casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ
Let's sit on "the knowledge of God" for a moment. Jen Wilkin once said "the heart cannot love what the mind does not know." So, how can I love a Holy God if I don't spend any time getting to know Him through the word? Although good advice and tips are helpful, ultimately I need my Father. I need Living Water. 
Furthermore, how can I bring my thoughts captive to Christ if I don't know what the word says about Him? 
Somewhere between making an omelette and folding laundry, the Spirit reminded me of Paul's plea in Philippians 4:8-9.
"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." (Philippians 4:8-9, ESV)
So, if you're like me and crave a safe place for your mind to dwell...
1. Dwell on the word. 
How? Memorize it, sing it, read it, etc.
2. Dwell on the truths of Philippians 4:8-9
How? Ask the Lord to help you. Journal. Take an extended break from your phone, Netflix, etc. 
3. Practice these things 
It takes time to see transformation.
4. Rejoice in the Lord
When I rejoice in the Lord, I have confidence that God is in control. The Lord is at hand, he's coming back and He is abiding in us.
5. Pray
Like Paul told us in Philippians, pray. Prayer turns my heart towards God and offers me not a "less busy life but a less busy heart and mind" (Paul Miller, A Praying Life). 

So, what's the point? Are we to endure this pandemic clinging tightly to our possessions, all while preserving ourselves and our comfort? Nope! There's a bigger picture. 
A sobering reminder;
"yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. (James 4:14, ESV)
Life is short. The world (including believers) needs to hear again and again of a Holy God who cares so deeply that He gave His only Son. Once our minds are transformed by His Spirit and His Word, we are transformed and we have the privilege of sharing that testimony. 
Lord, transform us so that we can shine brightly for you in this darkness. Stir up our stagnant waters. Move us into action. Let us meditate on your faithfulness so out of the overflow of our heart our mouths would speak of you. 
The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:22-23, ESV) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

Fall Afresh On Me