Thanksgiving In Charleston



Since Blake and I have been together, we've never spent a Thanksgiving apart; this year was different. Sadly, Blake was unable to join us in Charleston, SC for my family's holiday. I was so torn about leaving Jude and Blake in Florida but it was very important to me that I see my family, especially my grandparents whom I hadn't seen in two years. So, I traveled from one coast to the other. I took big breaths. I cried. I Face-Timed. I had some quality time with Laurie Kate and I thoroughly enjoyed Charleston like I have many times before. We traveled to Charleston numerous times growing up. I was there multiple times a year because my best friend's family traveled there too. If you haven't been, you're missing out on one of our country's finest cities. Charleston smells like old wood. I'm so fortunate that my mom is from such an amazing city. 

But I didn't go to Charleston to be a tourist. I went to Charleston because I longed to see my family. Moments where we all sit together in a big room, pray, and sing to Jesus are becoming more and more rare. I'm thankful that even though I live 900 miles from home, I can call anyone in my family in a time of need and they'll be there. I'm thankful that my family has a firm foundation in Christ. If we based our gatherings on our past, how we've treated each other, and the mistakes we've made... we wouldn't really enjoy our time together. It'd be a disaster. Sure, there's some drama. However, God is always working on us. He's always teaching us something new. He's always refining my family. My grandparents taught us the importance of talking to God, saying "I'm sorry," loving even when you don't feel like it, doing the right thing even when no one is watching, and working hard. What a joy it must be for them to see the many grand and great grandchildren all around. What a taste of heaven! Thank you Lord!
Don't they look amazing?!?


Mary Beth and Falcon came all the way from Hawaii! 
The five sisters together at last! Whew!

Laurie Kate meets my sweet grandmother, Annie Laurie (Laurie like "sorry")

My oldest sister and her sweet children! Jackson is so tender hearted, thankful, and loving. He anticipates other's needs, always wants to snuggle, and is a servant! I'm so proud of you! Parker is very creative, very smart, energetic, and bold. You should see Parker's artwork.. he's a prodigy! Then, there's Mallory. Mallory stayed with Laurie Kate and I all weekend! It was such a treat to wake up to her cheerful attitude. She would sweetly play with Laurie Kate on our bedroom floor, sing songs to her, and tell me all kinds of stories. Thank you, Mallory, for your loving care and beautiful spirit! 
Aunt Liz got to snuggle with Laurie Kate too! Liz and Alan have the sweetest girls! What a joy it was to get to know them more on this visit. They're practically grown women now! Wow! It's amazing to hear their testimony of faith, their passion for serving the Lord, and their mature and loving attitudes. They're amazing women!
It was sooo good to see Jill, Kevin, and baby Joseph. He's growing up! I can't believe he's almost two! Joseph is so kind, loving, and playful. I wish we could see him more.
This year, we decided to eat at the hotel near our beach house. That was the BEST idea ever. The food was amazing and we didn't have to clean up. Plus, with chef Michael at our house... whew... we saved room for his gourmet cookies, homemade almond ice cream, and chocolate torte. Delicious!

Amy and baby Jack! 
My Papa! 
Gathering around to hear Papa preach.

Melt. My. Heart. This is our beloved Aunt Bitsy. She's the most loving, gentle, spirited, and diligent woman you'll ever meet. She's so active in her church, is initiating efforts to help her city and stop sex trafficking, and is always passionate about Jesus. What a gem!
Football!!
Sharing their Bible verses and songs :)
 Precious time of praying for Lainey as she prepares to go to college.
 Thanksgiving isn't complete without singing' a hymn!

 Love this man!
We all went around the group to share what we're thankful for and then my Nana shared too! My Papa and Nana love to talk. They love to share their wisdom but mostly, they just want us to know that life is about worshipping Jesus. My Papa specifically mentioned that we need to remember to always worship Jesus wherever we are. Work isn't just work when we can worship Jesus. Amen!

We got to celebrate baby Jack's first birthday too! Amy and Kevin are such awesome parents! We loved having Jack and Elise down to Florida a few months ago. I'm so thankful for my sweet sister!






















We also celebrate my Nana's birthday!!! My Papa sure had his hands full.. ahaha! We couldn't stop laughing!





 The last evening of the trip, we went out to eat and the whole family watched the grandchildren. The food was absolutely amazing. My sweet family witness me having a break down at the table though! Haha! It's not fun going on a date without your husband. It's also not easy knowing that your little boy doesn't fully grasp the concept that I'm coming back to him. The Lord was definitely near me in my pain. I was ready to come back home to my boys! 

I learned a lot about myself on this trip. I learned that God doesn't want any idols in my heart. I had a harder time than I expected being away from Jude for the longest time since he was born. I realized that it's ok to love my son but when I love God first, everything else takes it's place. I can love Jude more when I love God first. I can love Blake more when I love God first. I love being a wife and a mother to my sweet family. It's the best job in the world! What a gift! Thank you Lord for your many gifts. Help me to remember to always love you first. To trust you at all times. I'm thankful for His great presence. I'm thankful for forgiveness. Gosh, I'm just thankful for my little crazy family. Life is good.










REUNITED!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me