Nine Months With Laurie Kate

Little lady. You're beginning to learn what the word "no" means. You've enjoyed pulling books off shelves, playing with toilet paper, hanging off the furniture as you take little steps, digging in the mulch of our fake plant (haha), and reaching for every crumb on the floor. The most common phrases in our house this month are, "Jude, be nice to sister," "be careful or Lolly will scratch you," "Laurie Kate, don't eat that," "no no, sister," and definitely "where's Laurie Kate?"

You're crawling all over the place, singing, saying "mama" and "dada." You love to clap, giggle, and eat some more chunky foods. Beans, carrots, chicken, cheese, bread, watermelon, apples, etc. You still sleep through the night like you have nice you were 11 weeks. You enjoy two long naps and you always want to find Lolly. Your brother is learning how to share with you and I'm learning to baby proof the house all over again.

Jude and I have special time together when you go to bed. "Night night sister!" Jude always wants to read multiple books (never neglecting Baby Beluga), we say our prayers, sing our Bible verses, tickle, make a tent, and make squishy faces. I don't ever want to forget these little moments. I love it when Blake puts Jude to get also because I can listen to Jude sing and giggle from a distance. Life is such a gift!

This month was a busy one, a month of loss, and a month of adventure. We traveled to Tennessee to celebrate the life of Blake's precious grandmother who went to be with Jesus. We trick-or-treated. We ate lotsa' candy. We cried, laughed, remembered that life is short, and hugged our family. It was a good one.

I look at you and think about how quickly these phases pass. Soon enough, you'll be walking. I really do take so much delight in being your mom. (not to mention being a wife to the best husband ever) However, sometimes it's really difficult for me to believe that the Lord takes as much delight in me as I do in you two kiddos. After all, God is the definition of LOVE. It's our goal as parents to make sure that you two know that God loves you and we love you. We love you intentionally each day. We try to help discipline you, disciple you to know God's word, and shepherd your hearts. How much more does my heavenly father love me intentionally?! It just blows me away. Thank you, Lord! I know that I'm going to screw up my kids in a lot of ways but I'm thankful that God always has purposes for our failure. Romans 8:28 testifies to that! All things work for the good of those who love God and who are called according to his purpose. So, as much as Blake and I argue in front of you two, as much as we may be overprotective, selective with how much media you are exposed to, or how much we smother you with kisses and praise... God has purposes. His glory is why you are here. It's why I'm here. 

I'm so thankful that I can look to the cross when I totally screw up, when I've said too much, and when my heart has grown cold and numb. Thank you for loving me Blake, Jude, and Laurie Kate. God is so faithful. 


 
a typical day at our house... Jude jumping, no pants, and LK naked and giggling

 LK is addicted to apples!
Haha! Lolly is waiting to jump on top of the table and drink Jude's milk (nasty) or eat our breakfast
 Jude was so excited to put on some new shoes for our trip to chilly Tennessee
 In typical (almost) three-year-old fashion, Jude didn't want to wear his costume. Sooo, we practiced and bribed him with candy corn! Haha! It worked!
 Before we went to TN, we visited the pumpkin patch in town with church friends. We were hoping to get a nice family photo but since it was about 90 degrees, the kids were miserable, and it was swarming with people, we opted to try another day. Whew! Jude absolutely loves pumpkins so, he was thrilled to see a whole field of them!

 We had to stop Jude from throwing every SINGLE pumpkin he saw. Seriously! He was cracking me up but I mean, no one wants a bruised or smashed pumpkin. They were so expensive! Haha! 
 I'm so glad our friend Janessa came with us! We are so thankful for you!
Nana. This beautiful lady was Blake's grandmother. Nana was the kindest soul. She makes you feel like home. She genuinely wants to know about what is going on in your life and how you're walking with God. Nana knew that life throws you curve balls, it's challenging, but Jesus is always with us. She never turned her back on the Lord through loss, grief, and battling cancer. We are praising God for your life but we sure do miss you and your sweet hugs. I'm so thankful that we were able to travel to Tennessee to celebrate you. Blake and I were honored to sing at your service and see so many faces that loved you. Thank you for pointing us to Christ and for your delicious chocolate cake. You are greatly missed! We'll see you again.
Remember that time an airplane caught on fire at our gate and we had to wait for hours to get on a place?!?! Whew! We were so fortunate to make it home; forty flights were cancelled. God is good.
Oh, Tennessee. :)
Little LK had a fever, cough, and bumps but the doctor said she was just battling a virus. Yay!
 I think I prefer the leaves more than Jude does. GO VOLS!
 Alright. Here we go. I'm about to get serious. This really should be a separate blog post but I just feel like it's best to go ahead and spill the beans. 

You know why I'm smiling? I'm not smiling because of all the chocolate we're about to steal from Jude's bucket. Haha! I'm smiling because this little dude has overcome so many obstacles over the past six months; putting his costume on is just one small victory. About a year ago, Blake and I began a mental list of concerns we had about Jude's development. Our pediatrician at the time wasn't very introspective or investigative. So, when my sister who is a pediatrician came to visit us, I voiced my concerns to her and she confirmed the word that had kept coming to my mind; autism. 

That word has a lot of weight and confusion to it. We rode the waves of grief, worry, anxiety, and finally landed in a spot of acceptance. Jude was later diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum. I understand that autism isn't something to take lightly but at the same time, God has specific purposes for us all. I certainly do not want to make this some sob story because I'm fully aware that raising any child comes with it's up and downs. Being a parent is no easy task in general.

Jude has struggled with communication and relating to others socially. So, the state of Florida stepped in with soooo much assistance and therapies for our Jude. God is just amazing!! Did you know that people move from all over the state (and country, so I've heard) to our county to receive the services that Jude is benefiting from? God sent us to Florida to start a church and he continues to confirm our calling here. How amazing! The doctor Jude sees is known around the world as one of the best. This county has blessed us tremendously with therapies, counseling, and even aided preschool in the near future. We take seriously our job as mom and dad to help Jude develop and become who God wants him to be. 

We even learned that one of the best ways for Jude to learn is by singing... we sing all day every day! He's in the right house! We sing songs about washing hands, taking a bath, cleaning up, and about Jesus. Jude is just brilliant! I love teaching him about letters and now, he's practically teaching himself to read! Whew!

Jude has already overcome many challenges much more rapidly than his doctors expected. He's now able to use four word sentences, communicate what he wants and needs, and is overall a much happier child. There's no sugar coating it though, Jude presents a lot of challenging behavior. We've had some major cry fest in this house; Blake and I, that is. He's our son. We love him and enjoy teaching him how to communicate and relate to the world around him. He learns differently. It's fascinating! So, when Jude was able to trick-or-treat, put on his costume, say "trick-or-treat," "thank you," and understand the whole candy-is-good concept this year... we were overjoyed! (Bring on the Reece's cups, Amen?) Haha! He may have waltzed right in to a number of homes... and made it all the way to a few kitchens, but he eventually figured it out. Haha! God answers prayer. 

Walking around my mother-in-law's neighborhood with all the children out in the streets, with cousins, the bright leaves, and the chilly air just brought me such a peace and joy. It was a heavenly evening. The smell of bonfires, leaf piles, moldy pumpkins, and chocolate brought back some special memories. We did't have to watch for snakes and gators this year! We missed our SoFlo family but it was such a treat to escape the (blessing) yet burden of the church planting life and retreat to our home for a weekend with family, celebrating Nana, and praising the Lord for little Jude. 

We returned home with full hearts... and put our flip flops back on ready to hug our SoFlo friends! Haha!

We are so proud of you.  
 My widdle Laurie (like sorry) lamb! Haha... I'll be correcting the pronunciation of her name forever!
 We had a BLAST spending the evening with Sarah, Laura, Travis, Lonas, and Jude's little cousins; Harper and Reagan!! Toothless and Elastagirl! Aren't they adorable? They're the sweetest girls!
 Precious! 
Jude's one piece of candy... he chose a Kit Kat!
 "I'm tired." haha!!
 On Sunday, Mimi, Pop, Grandaddy, and Becky all came over to visit! We also spent some time with Trey, Shelby, and little puppy dog Peach! Oh, it was short but sweet!
Unlike LK, Jude hates sitting for pictures!
flying home...
 My big girl is pulling up all over the place! Jude loves hanging out with Grace and Anna...
We've seen three gators this month! Haha! I think they're fascinating but definitely scary! We're glad to be back home with our SoFlo family! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me