Thank You Liam


Yesterday was the last day that I'll have this adorably handsome four year old at my house during the week. This is a big change. My dad always said, "life changes a lot and you just have to change with it." Boy, was he right on that one! I'll still be able to keep Liam's little brother but Liam is about to start preschool where I know he will thrive, be the major crush of every girl, and have a blast! He is growing up! We are praying for you miss Katie (his mom) as you go through this transition with your big kid! I can't wait to see him continue to learn! Liam moved down to Florida last February with his mom, dad, and brother to help us with Desire Church. What a journey they've been on! The Elliott family has quickly become a part of our SoFlo family that we just can't get enough of these days. We even had the privilege of going on a double date with Liam's parents (our good friends) for the first time last weekend! I am so blessed by our truth speaking, fun, and little boy filled friendship. Maybe one day there'll be a little girl in the mix!
Keeping children has been a huge gift from the Lord. Blake and I knew that I'd need to bring in some sort of income but we weren't sure how to make that happen. God had a plan all along and I'm so thankful! I recall all the men and women that babysat me when I was younger and all the fond memories I have of each of their homes and personalities. From the Mynatts, to the Fethes, McCollums, the Seays, Evans, Cruzes, Greens, and my own family... God placed so many influential believers in my life that taught me about Jesus. It's amazing to think of how good, good, good God is. To think that I have a part in sort of raising these young men... I'm just blown away. Thankful.

 I am so excited for this rambunctious ball of energy to join some other friends at school but I am going to miss his presence in this house! He is my craft buddy, baking buddy, dancing partner, helper, and my friend. Jude absolutely loves Liam too. I'm so glad he has a little big brother to look up to. He will walk up to Liam with the biggest grin and give him a forceful bear hug when he least expects it. They chase each other around the house and copy each other's dance moves! Jude just lights up when he is around.

I'm a strong believer that we raise our kids but they also help raise us. Shoo, I still have so much to learn! Liam has taught me some valuable lessons including how important encouragement is, prayer, forgiveness, love, patience, and more. This buddy of mine is very encouraging. Multiple times a day he would ask me to come snuggle with him. I'd sit down to hear him whisper, "I just love you. You're the best. You're so beautiful." Man, if that doesn't make you tear up then I don't know what will. Sometimes you just want to freeze those moments, videotape them, journal about them, and praise God for them. Those sweet little innocent moments that become memories (yes, I'm totally pregnant and uber-emotional). His tender heart would sit there at my kitchen table as we read through the "Jesus Storybook Bible" and he would ask the cutest questions and make the most poignant observations. I just pray that those Old and New Testament stories would creep their way into the corners of his heart for the Holy Spirit to use at his disposal. I pray that Liam will continue to cherish and respect God's word! There's no greater adventure in life than to be in the center of God's will!

I look back and smile at all the mid mornings where we'd pile up the wagon and stroller and plow our way to the park under the blazing sun. Sunscreen, check! Water bottles, check! Bug spray, check. All three boys... aaah! Don't run into the street! Don't push Lincoln, Jude! Ok, let's sing "The Wheels On The Bus." Haha! Madness!

He taught me to remember to pray. There would be special days where we had new friends over to play or meet some friends at the playground in our neighborhood. I remember one day when Liam was discouraged about not having many friends his age. We stopped on the playground and prayed for God to bring Liam a four year old friend. The very next day, Liam met a special friend on the playground that was the same age! We jumped up and down together and praised God (under that mean old hot sun) for answering our prayers. Of course, I had to explain (and remind myself) that God isn't a genie. Sometimes we don't get what we ask for but God always answers our prayers in one way or another. God cares for us and knows what is best for us, just like our parents. God loves when we talk to him!

Liam also reminded me how important it is to forgive and love. We would be playing with a new friend that didn't share well, that complained a lot, or was just plain mean. I found myself explaining to Liam how we can't pick out all the bad things about a friend, we have to love them for who they are. Not every child has parents that teach them right from wrong, how to play nice, to share, etc. We can't sit around pointing the finger because sometimes we are the friend who isn't fun to play with. Sometimes we make mistakes. It is not easy to forgive or share with a friend who has hurt you. Literally. However, God tells us that we need to love one another. I would be explaining all of this to him and thinking to myself, "oook God, I see where you want me to remember this lesson too." I can't just teach Liam about forgiveness and not forgive others in my life.

Then there's patience. Right around 11:30, things get crazy in this house. I've got three stinky, sweaty boys that are zapped by that Florida sun with dirty feet, knees... actually, just dirty all over. After wiping down three precious red faces, removing and keeping track of three pairs of warm shoes, filling a few water bottles usually while spilling water all down the outside wall of the fridge, and surveying the maze of toys at my feet... it's time to start making lunch. Since the two younger toddlers, in their struggle to communicate, make louder and more ear pinching noises... sometimes Liam's request gets pushed to the bottom of the list. Poor kid. That granola bar that he needs help opening sometimes has to wait while two diapers get changed, one child gets put down for a nap, and the other finds the perfect toy to play with... for two minutes tops. Liam has shown increased amounts of patience over the past months... and I'd even say joyful patience. He is teaching me all about it! He has learned that I will respond to his needs in due time. He's also incredibly helpful! He will take that diaper to the trash can, clean up toys, and wipe up spills in a split second while singing "go go power rangers!" He has seen me in stress-mode and been very empathic towards me. God has shown me his love through this kid. Through the Holy Spirit we can ask him to help us be patient and he will teach us! What a gift!

God is always speaking to us and urging us to grow like a child. To grow in faith like a child, to grow in trust, love, and forgiveness. We just have to decide if we want to listen and change. So much grace is given to us!

I'll miss playing new songs for you from my old iPod and record player. I'll miss making cookies with you, doing puppet shows, and snuggling on the couch. It's ok that you don't like Creed, The Beach Boys, Elvis, Elton John, or The Beatles. I forgive you. I'll miss dancing with you to "Safe and Sound," "Power Rangers," and "Grace Like Rain." Through all the chaos, the good days, and the bad... thank you Liam. Thanks for making me feel like I'm a good dancer, for introducing me to the awesome music from "Frozen," and teaching me how to fight like a ninja. Thank you for raising me over the past six months. Thank you for loving me unconditionally when I got your toys stuck under the oven, when I neglected to help you with your juice box straw until two toddlers were asleep, and when I asked you to wipe your "middle" and you had no idea what I was talking about. Haha! I've had so much fun playing with you! You are a joy. See you on Sundays buddy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me