Our 5th Anniversary



Five years! I remember the first day that I met him at Belle Aire Baptist Church on MTSU Sunday. I just finished singing and Blake was determined to introduce himself. I was not interested in dating at the time but I was praying for a transfer student... Blake. We became friends, started dating six months later, got engaged nine months later, and were married eight months later. The days went by so slowly until July 11, 2009. I knew from the time that I was a sophomore in high school when God helped me write my first song that God wanted me to marry a worship leader, for us to lead together, and I gave up on that calling for a while. Blake taught me how to play chord charts on the piano, we began leading worship together for our college ministry, and the rest is history. Who knew that our little story that began in Tennessee would take us to Florida, not far from where we celebrated our honeymoon! Life gets sweeter by the moment! 




Our first date. I cooked Blake some chicken marsala, baked ziti, and chocolate molten cakes with our friends Kristin and Trey!

Our first date in Nashville, TN



Engaged :)
It's not about me and Blake. I look back on our marriage and friendship over the past five years and just think how faithful the Lord is to restore us. Daily. Weekly. Moment by moment. I'm thankful that we are not struggling with the same issues as we were this time last month, last year, etc. God is at work because He is alive in us! We don't deserve it, but He keeps on loving us. It's not about me and Blake, it's about God's glory as we fight for our marriage, for unity, in a broken world that is trying to tear this picture of Christ apart. It's about reaching outside our four walls to those around us that need the freedom, grace, and truth that only Christ can offer. It's about giving up. Giving up my own selfishness and constantly laying down my rights and putting another person's needs before mine. It's hard. I can't do it on my own. It's only through Jesus. It's rewarding. It's a reminder that Christ gave everything for us! His life!

It certainly hasn't been easy. You talk about moving 900 miles away from home with a six month old toddler, you don't know how you're going to make money, where you're going to live, I was worried sick (literally had stomach/anxiety problems for months), and Blake was just holding on tight to God's promises. NOT easy. I remember being so depressed in Hendersonville because we moved far from all our friends, my job was incredibly stressful, and our apartment smelled. I mean, when we moved out of that apartment, everything reeked. I imaged this green smoke rising from all our belongings... stinky, stinky. I remember times when we were newly married and we hardly ever were able to have dinner at the same table, go to bed at the same time, or be in the same room for more than an hour because his job at the time was so demanding. Disaster relief was the job, now I see so much disaster relief in our marriage because of God's grace. I'm just brought to tears. Jesus knows how we feel and has been with us each step of the way providing for us more than we need. 

God eventually brought us the greatest little joy; Jude Allen. I "wasn't ready" to have children but Blake felt like God was telling Him it was time. I prayed, God changed my heart, and boy oh boy did my heart change when I met Jude. It's no small gift to be a mom, a dad, to see Jude grow and fuss. Haha! It's no small gift that God brought me to Dr. Cohen's office when He did. I loved working there! It's no small gift that I get to cook dinner for my husband, I get to go grocery shopping with  my little dude, I get to wash clothes for my boys, I get to be the mother hen of this house that God provided. So many precious friends, communities, surprise checks in the mail, scripture just when we need it, rain just when we needed it, songs written by Blake that bring me to tears, and future grace right when we were about to give up trying. He opened our ears to wise counsel, so grateful for our counseling in Nashville!!! Everything is the Lord's. 1 Corinthians 10:26. He is in complete control and has taught us to trust Him through all the chaos of life. When we keep our eyes, our hearts focused on Christ, so much weight is lifted. So many worries become prayers, so many arguments become pointless. God's unstoppable love and grace towards me have blown me away in our marriage, our life together. I love that I can trust God's word to guide and direct me. His word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105. Lord, help us to stay on the path you've set before us! We need more of you!  


There's so much to be thankful for. I just plain enjoy when Blake comes home. He's so handsome, so brave! It's the highlight of my day when He calls me, comes home, or texts me. I respect him. We talk about every thing, he's my best friend! I appreciate the fact that he calls me out when I'm wrong because he cares about me more than I'll ever know. He sacrifices his time, money, and personal desires for our family. He cares deeply about his walk with God, walking in integrity, his friendships, working hard, relaxing well when it's time (I need help relaxing haha) and enjoying life in a way that I truly admire.


Ultimately, I love Blake because He reminds me that life isn't about us. It's not about our happiness, how much money we make, how our house looks, always trying to be better than someone else, the clothes we have, music, the happy face we put on; it's about Jesus. Blake points me to Christ. Thank you Lord for my husband. We don't deserve His grace!
We started by celebrating our Anniversary at 711. Romantic, I know! See, we were married on 7-11-09 so they were having free slurpees from 11-7. Neither of us have had a Coke in quite some time so we immediately regretted this decision but it gave us a good memory and indigestion. Haha! Poor Blake wanted a slurpee machine at our wedding... I prayed that he wouldn't find one and my prayers were answered. For some reason I was a party pooper at the time and didn't think that a slurpee machine would fit in with all my fine decorations. These days, I could care less. It would have been cool! Haha!
After drinking all that sugary poison.... we had a lovely dinner at The Field Irish Pub in Plantation, Florida. It was only about twenty minutes away from our house and it was on the way to our final destination too. We had asked some local friends to recommend a restaurant for us and The Field came with glowing reviews! This place was extraordinary! I'm all for big atmosphere, notice the ginormous tree? You walk in, and automatically feel like you've stepped into Ireland or the equivalent of a cozy cabin in the Smoky Mountains. We felt like we were nestled in the woods back home! How perfect for our anniversary, an unexpected taste of home! God is so good. We can't wait to take our friends here!  There was some fantastic live music and they even dedicated a song to us. We didn't want the night to end.
I had the best view! Look at this handsome man!
Our friends told us to try the cinnamon ice cream... it was delicious! It tasted like a snicker doodle cookie! The chocolate cake was beautiful but I'm a bit of a sweet snob, or maybe I didn't care for it because nothing compares to that ice cream! Either way, I felt very special having these two on my plate.


After dinner we stayed at an awesome hotel just down the road at Hallendale beach! I gave Blake a watch, a special bottle opener with our name engraved on it, and he gave me the most special present. Blake gave me the diamond that his dad gave his mom back in 1980 (I believe that's correct).  I had no idea that I would receive such a timeless present. It's beautiful and I am so undeserving of it! Shoo wee!

You see, this diamond tells a unique story of God's redemption, unrelenting grace, forgiveness, and love in Blake's family. Blake's father made some mistakes (we all do) and felt beyond the forgiveness and grace of his family and peers. He took his own life when Blake was in elementary school.  I can't describe what pain his family experienced and still experiences but I do know that God's grace and forgiveness cover our past, present, and future sins. I know that God's love is bigger than anything we can imagine, and it changes the way we live and deal with pain. Christ experienced the wrath of all sin on the cross for us. Hallelujah! It is only with this hope and sacrifice in mind that Blake's family is where they are today. God has redeemed so many broken relationships within his family!

 I hear that Blake's father was a man of so many talents, a huge heart for others, and a voice like an angel! I wish that I could have met him but I'm so grateful to see God's glory displayed through so much pain and heartache in the past. The end of this story could have been pain, heartache, destruction, and a family torn by bitterness and anger. Instead, Christ transformed this family! He defeated death! I'm grateful that God placed so many wonderful men and women in Blake's life that showed Him the grace of God, discipled him, and shared life with him so that he now gives God the glory in his life. Through God's grace and mercy alone, we are together, we love each other, and I pray that our story reflects how huge God is! HUGE! I can't comprehend it. 

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,[h] for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. 31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be[i] against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? 33 Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.[j] 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written,
“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
    we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:28-39

I was very hesitant to mention, post pictures, or discuss this diamond because I don't want to broadcast such material/valuable things. However, I believe that God gets more glory when we are honest about our past, our struggles, and how he redeemed us! Since Blake's dad passed, this diamond has been in the company of an amazing woman, Blake's mom. God blessed Blake's mom with a wonderful husband named Lonas. Lonas and Leigh Ann are such a huge pillar of faith and testimony to how God renews us, gives us strength to face each day, and how his love restores our life! We love you so much! Thank you for passing this timeless treasure along to us. One day, Jude's bride may receive it and I pray that she knows our great, great God!  

We had the best babysitters taking care of Jude; Granna and Granddad came all the way from Tennessee! Jude had a blast reading, watching some TV, playing outside, going swimming, and snuggling. They got Jude the best little keyboard. He LOVES it!! :) It was a very special visit having family in town. Oh, we wish we lived closer!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jude's Little Blue Truck Party

What to Think

Fall Afresh On Me